- The Shearwater bird is an endangered species that is only found on Kauai, and there are many people who are doing what they can to help prevent more dying out.
- The Shearwater radar is a system that has the ability to track the shearwater’s flight. When they enter an area that is covered by the radar, their presence appears as a blip on the screen.
- The radar benefits the shearwaters because it will help KIUC understand the bird’s flight patterns, so that if they see that they are a lot of times near lights or tall light posts, they could change the type of lights, and adjust the height of the poles to decrease the amount of collisions.
- The professionals are able to see the data because the radar unit has software assigns each bird a flight tracking number.
- They set up radars by the airports so that they can decrease the amount of plane-bird collisions
Taylor and I are doing our 2nd project on the Shearwaters Radar